YANG BERHORMAT TAN SRI DATUK AMAR
HAJI MOHAMAD MORSHIDI BIN ABDUL GHANI
STATE SECRETARY SARAWAK & CHAIRMAN, ANGKATAN ZAMAN MANSANG SARAWAK (AZAM)
AZAM’S 31ST ANNIVERSARY LUNCHEON
“ Millennials Empowered: Driving Development through Connectivity”
27 August 2014, Kuching Hilton
Assalamualaikum, Salam Sejahtera dan Selamat Tengahari
Tuan Yang Terutama Yang Di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak, Tun Pehin Sri Haji Abdul Taib Mahmud and Yang Amat Berbahagia Toh Puan Raghad Kurdi Taib.
Setiap tahun kita menganjurkan Program UlangTahun Memperingati Penubuhan AZAM bertujuan untuk melihat perkembangan keberkesanan aktiviti AZAM kepada masyarakat. Dan setiap tahun Tuan Yang Terutama Tun selaku Patron AZAM tidak pernah jemu untuk hadir ke UlangTahun AZAM. For us in AZAM, we believe your untiring presence and dedication towards AZAM is because of Your Excellency passion in ensuring AZAM continues to play the role of communicating the socio economic development of the state and the people lately in recent years, Your Excellency wants us to focus in communication and engagement with the youths. There are over 100 of the youth who represent AZAM Young Soul Program and Jejak Aspirasi Belia are here today. This is what we at AZAM have dedicated ourselves to in all our programs since the establishment of AZAM. We believe Tun has his reasons for being passionate and also patient with AZAM as well.
We wish to thank Tuan Yang Terutama Tun for your continuous support towards AZAM and gracious presence at our function today. I know Your Excellency has extended beyond the norms to help AZAM all these years. Tuan Yang Terutama Tun acceptance to continue to be our Patron is very much welcome by us and we will continue to do our best to see to Your Excellency’s vision of success in development communication, continues to be realised by AZAM.
May ALLAH blessed Tuan Yang Terutama Tun and YABhg Toh Puan with good health always. Izinkan saya, Tuan Terutama Tun, untuk berucap kepada sidang hadirin yang hadir pada pagi ini.
YAB Tan Sri Datuk Amar Haji Adenan bin Haji Satem, Ketua Menteri
Bagi pihak AZAM, saya mengucapkan setinggi-tinggi terima kasih kepada YAB Ketua Menteri Tan Sri Datuk Amar (Dr) Haji Adenan bin Haji Satem dan Yang Amat Berbahagia Puan Sri Dato Hajah Jamilah Anu kerana sudi hadir ke Majlis Ulangtahun Azam pada hari ini.
Sesungguhnya kehadiran YAB Tan Sri dan YABhg Puan Sri tetap memberi perangsang kepada kami untuk terus memperjuangkan objektif AZAM selaku Non- Profit Organization bagi membantu kerajaan untuk menyebar dan berkongsi maklumat tentang perkembangan di Negeri Sarawak serta memberi penjelasan tentang faedahnya. Kami juga mengucapkan terima kasih kepada YAB Tan Sri Datuk Amar Ketua Menteri kerana sudi menjadi Penasihat AZAM.
Terima kasih juga kepada Yang Berhormat Menteri – Menteri, Timbalan – Timbalan Menteri dan semua yang terlibat atas sokongan kepada semua program AZAM hingga setiap pelusok Negeri Sarawak.
Tuan Yang Terutama Tun,
1. This year marks the 31st year of AZAM’s establishment, 31 years of being a leading non-profit organization in advocating communication for development in Sarawak.
2. In tandem with the state’s socio-economic changes and trends for the past 3o years or so, AZAM seeks to ensure a more active participation of the people in development through various activities such as seminars, workshops, forum, publications, radio programme, social media and innovative youth activities.
3. AZAM has always been envisioned to play the role of a change agent or catalyst to development in the State.
4. As a testimony to this, AZAM had been entrusted by the state government to assist in organising key programmes and activities for different levels of society and target groups such as the policy makers, civil servants, community leaders, the corporate and private sectors, rural communities, women and youth groups.
5. AZAM is a relatively small organisation with limited resources including in terms of fund and skilled human resource. As such many of AZAM’s core activities have very specific target beneficiaries to ensure greater as well as sustained impact.
6. For example in the past couple of years, we shifted our programmes (since 2012) to be a bit more focused on the youth (the Gen-Y and the Millennials) born 1980-2000. In such programmes, we not only work with a relatively small core group, but we also provide them with their very own physical space to work in called the AZAM Youth Central (in July 2103).
7. This approach has not only attracted highly committed and talented youth volunteers, but we have been able to sustain their active participation until today.
8. By working with these highly dedicated and motivated youths called AZAM Young Souls, we have not only managed to build them up in terms of knowledge, social skills and volunteerism, but through them we have also managed to reach out to, and, inspire thousands of other youths especially in the rural areas of Sarawak (though a programme called Jejak Aspirasi Belia).
9. Through such an approach we hope to be able to nurture a greater sense of ownership and pride of the development achieved by the state and country, among Sarawak youths and, Malaysian youths in general.
FORWARD WITH SCORE
10. To complement the state’s efforts in ensuring the success of SCORE development programme, AZAM is working to provide community development support in terms of social programme and capacity building for the Murum resettlement community.
11. The resettlement programme carried out by the state in collaboration with Sarawak Energy Berhad, SEB is providing new opportunities for the affected Murum community in education, in social development, and in economic opportunities. Slowly but surely, the community is adapting and learning new skills in for their new livelihoods.
12. AZAM will not only contribute to human development activities for the community, but will also try to assist in the communication of accurate information on the development of the community.
13. It is hoped that external communities will then be able to get a more balanced information and thus have a more accurate perception of what goes on, on the ground with regard to such projects.
ENHANCING CONNECTIVITY AND PARTICIPATION IN DEVELOPMENT THROUGH ICT
14. Acknowledging the influence of Internet in communicating development information, AZAM has been using social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to engage with its target groups, especially the youths.
15. In addition to these two digital platforms, AZAM took a step further with the launch of its AZAM Online TV in July this year.
16. We hope that the AZAM Online TV (over Youtube Channel) will be able to assist in facilitating the dissemination of current development information on Sarawak to wider audiences, particularly the “Netizens” (Internet users), both local and international.
17. We also hope that with content presented in the form of multimedia, the youths will be able to have better understanding on the development happenings in the state.
18. We believe that by embracing the new media, particularly the online TV, we will be able to provide an additional channel for getting current information on Sarawak
PARTNERS AND RESOURCES
19. In AZAM, we hope to be able to continue to inject new and unique ideas and value into our programmes and activities for the advancement of Sarawak in particular, in line with the expectations and needs of today’s society.
20. We hope that the State Government, the corporate sector and other quarters would provide us with generous support in terms of fund or in kind.
PARTNERSHIP AND SYNERGY
21. To enhance cohesion among the various key players and stakeholders in development we seek to continue nurturing our partnership with other institutions.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND THANKS
22. On behalf of AZAM, I wish to record our utmost appreciation to Tuan Yang Terutama Tun Pehin Sri Haji Abdul Taib Mahmud, our Patron, for his continued support and confidence in AZAM and for creating AZAM 31 years ago.
23. We also believe with the leadership Yang Amat Berhormat Chief Minister of Sarawak, as AZAM Advisor will be able to continue to contribute our small part in mobilizing as many people as we can to drive Sarawak forward in development of Sarawak.
24. We would also like to thank the past chairmen and board members for their leadership that had set the direction of AZAM as well as the AZAM members for their unfailing support and engagement in our past and current programmes.
25. Indeed, AZAM is where it is today not through our own effort alone, but with the continuous support of partners such as the government agencies, corporate sectors, NGOs, media partners and the other benefactors.
Sekian, terima kasih dan Selamat Menyambut UIangtahun Ke 31 AZAM